Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Another Wednesday night, another batch of cupcakes.

This week I’ve been having an extreme case of Spring Fever. The sunshine taunts me with a ray or two peeking through gray clouds, birds chirp my dreary head awake most mornings, and blossoms are slowly starting to bud. I know Spring is on its way, but I wish I could somehow expedite the turnover from cold and dismal to sunny and uplifting.

Strawberries were on sale (I love me some strawberries!), and I snagged a 2 lb. container in an effort to at least enjoy the onset of Spring gastronomically, if not physically.

Since I had so many, I decided to use a few to make Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting. Fruity, Springy, and just what the doctor ordered.

Lip Smackin’ Strawberry Cupcakes

I modified this recipe from another favorite cupcake recipe – orange marmalade cupcakes. I substituted strawberry jam for orange marmalade, and strawberry juice for the OJ.

1 package plain yellow cake mix
I don’t like using cake mixes – too lumpy! – so I used a basic yellow cake recipe from my trusty Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook instead.

1 cup juice
I used Odwalla brand Strawberry Pomegranate. Yum, yum!

2/3 cup ricotta cheese or plain yogurt
Use the yogurt. It’s blends into the batter better.

1/3 cup strawberry jam

1/3 cup vegetable oil

4 large eggs

Place all ingredients into bowl (I like to sift the dry ingredients first, then add the liquid) and mix until thick and well combined. Spoon 1/3 cup batter into lined or greased cupcake pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

This recipe is courtesy of the Cupcake Project blog. You saw it there first!

¼ cup butter (room temperature)
1 8 oz package cream cheese (room temperature)
½ cup strawberries, mashed up in a food processor
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese. Mix in the strawberries. Add the powdered sugar to the taste and consistency you prefer. Spread on cupcakes. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment