Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Chicken & Wild Rice with Zucchini, Asparagus, & Pistachio

I’m heading out of town for the Easter holiday this weekend, and have been trying to use up produce instead of buying fresh groceries. Surveying my cupboards and refrigerator last night, I decided to cobble together dinner using a few random ingredients. The results were delish!

Chicken & Wild Rice with Zucchini, Asparagus, & Pistachio

1 cup white long grain rice
1 cup wild rice
2 cups water
2 cups chicken broth
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp dried chives
2 boneless chicken breasts
1 medium zucchini
½ bunch asparagus (10-12 stalks)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cook the rice in the water, chicken broth, and throw in the chives for extra flavor. (I have a rice cooker…just dump it in and let it do its thing. On the stovetop, bring the rice and liquid to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes).

Meanwhile, parboil the asparagus in water for about 3-5 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Heat the 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Cut the chicken into bite-sized strips, and slice the zucchini into medallions. Sauté the chicken, garlic, zucchini, and asparagus until cooked through. Mix the remaining Tbsp olive oil with the balsamic vinegar. Spoon the chicken mixture over rice, drizzle with the oil/vinegar, and add pistachios for garnish. Enjoy!

Notes:

• You can probably substitute the balsamic for soy or teriyaki sauce to give this dish an Asian flair.

• I eyeballed the amounts. I never measure out olive oil, and wasn’t really thinking when I grabbed the handful of asparagus. Likewise the balsamic vinegar/olive oil mix was just a glug here and a glug there…you get the idea.

• I’m a balsamic vinegar snob, and used some aged Italian balsamic from Modena.

• This recipe would probably be fine with only one chicken breast, but they were packaged in two’s, and both of ‘em were thawed, so into the skillet they went.

• I suggest toasting the pistachios for a few minutes over medium heat. I was too rushed/lazy to do it last night, but I bet it would be fantastic.

• I found a large container of the freeze-dried chives in my cupboard, so I added them to the rice for flavor. Fresh chives or minced onion cooked with either the rice or chicken mixture would be tasty, as well.

• This recipe yielded a LOT of leftovers. 2 cups of uncooked rice expands to pretty much a full pot. I’ve got enough chicken/veggie mix for at least two more meals, and I’ll still have rice leftover after that. If you want to reduce the recipe at all, trim it down to 1 chicken breast, 1 cup of rice, and add more veggies for those additional green antioxidants.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so enjoyable when reading your post. I will recommend it to more people. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete