Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Banana Split Sandwich

Found this recipe in Cooking Light.

Banana Split Sandwich

Ingredients

2 (1-ounce) slices firm white sandwich bread, divided
1 teaspoon butter, softened
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 teaspoon semisweet chocolate minichips
1 large strawberry, thinly sliced
1/2 small banana, cut lengthwise into 3 slices (about 2 ounces)
1 tablespoon pineapple jam

Notes: I used wheat bread instead of white. I went to two separate stores for mini chips, but they were nowhere to be found, so I used regular-sized chips. Dark chocolate, not semisweet. I also searched in vain for pineapple jam and could not find any, so I used orange marmalade instead. Grilled it up on the Foreman grill.

Directions

Spread one side of each bread slice with 1/2 teaspoon butter.



Combine peanut butter and honey; spread over plain side of 1 bread slice. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.



Top evenly with strawberry slices and banana slices. Spread pineapple jam over plain side of remaining bread slice.



Carefully assemble sandwich.

Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sandwich; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.





Yield: 1 serving (serving size: 1 sandwich)

My verdict: Yeah, it was good. But I made the mistake of eating this for breakfast. I don’t know about you, but I’m the kind of person who needs protein in the morning to jump-start my day. The problem with this sandwich is that it was just…too much. Too much sweet, too much sandwich, too much. I couldn’t finish the entire thing and actually felt a little sick afterwards.

Don’t get me wrong, it was very tasty. It would actually be a perfect dessert if it was cut into quarters and served with vanilla ice cream. ¼ of the serving size would be just about right. But a whole sandwich? For breakfast? Not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment