Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Coconut Lime Cupcakes

Let it be known: I love love love lime. I’ll choose limes over lemons every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Lemon in my water? No thanks! Lime, please. I love lime candies, limeade, and yes, even chili-lime dishes. Lime is zingy, refreshing, and makes my mouth pucker up in sheer tart pleasure. At one point I think I owned a bottle of perfume with a lime base. Mmm!

Last night was the season finale of Lost, and as tradition goes, I wanted to make cupcakes for my posse of Lost fans. This season has been full of Dharma Initiative madness, and I was hard-pressed to come up with any type of food theme for my cupcakes. So, I kept it simple, and stuck to a ‘tropical’ theme.

I was debating about whether to make coconut cupcakes, key lime cupcakes, or pineapple upside down cupcakes. My friend Amie suggested combining the lime & coconut to make one tasty concoction and I couldn’t resist. (See the pineapple cakes in my next post).

I found a great recipe (Martha Stewart, natch), but had to triple the recipe to make 24 cakes instead of 6. Tripled amounts are indicated below.

Cupcakes

3 c all-purpose flour
2 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 ½ c (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
2 c + 4 T sugar
½ t vanilla
1 c coconut milk
8 large egg whites
¾ c shredded sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare muffin tins. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low, add flour, baking powder, salt and milk in three parts, alternating dry and wet, starting and ending with the flour. Beat until just combined. Set aside.

In a clean bowl beat the egg whites on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter until combined. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites and coconut.

Fill muffin tins half full. Bake for 20 -25 minutes until golden or a tester comes clean. Allow to cool completely.

Makes 24 cupcakes.

Lime Glaze
(The best part of the cupcake, in my opinion!)

2 c powdered sugar
3 t lime (about 1 ½ limes)
zest from 1 lime
milk

Mix sugar, lime juice, and zest together. Add milk 1 t at a time until desired consistency. Glaze cupcakes. Let sit until glaze has set.





1 comment:

  1. Yums! Glad you liked my idea. :) Now, how do I get one of those???

    ReplyDelete