Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mini Apple Pizzas with Vintage White Aged Tillamook Cheddar & Caramelized Brown Sugar

This past week, I’ve been down with a nasty cold. I’ve barely had the energy to roll out of bed for a shower, let alone keep food in my stomach or otherwise take care of myself. Over the weekend, I started to feel much better and my appetite slowly returned. I was still a bit sniffly and miserable, though, and only wanted ‘comfort food’.

I’d had my fair share of chicken soup for the week, and wanted some solid food for a change. I finally decided on the ultimate comfort food, a favorite after-school snack from my childhood: Mini Apple Pizzas.

We lived about a mile and a half away from our Elementary school, just far enough to make it quite the hike for our little legs, and just close enough that the school bus didn’t have a route in our neighborhood. My brother and I would make the trek everyday (Uphill. Both ways. In horrific weather conditions, Sonny.) and come home tired and hungry. Mom almost always had a snack ready for us, and if we were lucky, it was apple pizzas.

Mom most often made ‘em in the fall when apples were in season and a warm, filling nibble was perfect after a walk home in the cold (Uphill. In sleet. With holes in our shoes and wearing nothing but thin jackets, Sonny.) She generally used Granny Smiths with medium cheddar (a yummy combo indeed), but for my post-sickness snack, I opted for something a bit less traditional.

Pacific Rose apples (a product of New Zealand & Washington state, depending on the time of year) were on sale at my local supermarket. I like their sweet, mild flavor and grabbed a few. Here’s one all washed and ready:



Fortunately for me, my all-time favorite cheese was also on sale, so I grabbed a brick:



Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar. Aged for over two years and oh so good! I also picked up a bag of English muffins. Grocery List: Check!

Apple Pizzas are simple: slice open an English muffin. Very lightly butter it.
Place thinly sliced apples on the open muffin, and top with sliced cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, and enjoy.



If desired, you can broil the pizza for a minute or two at the end to make the cheese brown and bubbly. I went a different route this time. I figured a light dusting of brown sugar would pair nicely with the ultra sharp cheddar, and what better way to consume brown sugar than caramelized? Out comes the torch!



In the end, they were all I’d hoped for and more: a perfect ‘comfort food’ snack, sweet and savory, filling but not overly so, and tasty to the max. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. yum is right! dang I need to move closer to you and your yummy creations! :) feel better, Aimee.

    ReplyDelete