Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Monday, July 13, 2009

Kiwi Sorbet

Last week, I was happily eating a kiwi fruit when I got the brilliant idea to make...Kiwi Sorbet. This idea nagged at me for several days until it turned into a burning desire. I HAD to make sorbet. I was craving kiwi sorbet all day and seeing visions of it in my sleep.

I’d had my eye on ice cream makers for about a month. As luck would have it, a nice model (Cuisinart, capabilities to make 2 quarts) was available at Costco at a decent price. I gave in and purchased it. And, of course, christened it with kiwi sorbet.

The recipe I found was in a Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream & Dessert cookbook that I purchased a couple years ago. I modified it a little (doubled the recipe and substituted ingredients). Here's my version:

Kiwi Sorbet

1 lb. fresh kiwis (about 6) peeled and cut into small pieces
1 ½ cup sugar
6 Tbsp. lime juice
1 cup pineapple juice
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
4 cups cold water

Combine kiwis, sugar, and lime juice in a mixing bowl. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

When ready to freeze sorbet, mash the kiwis up, then add the pineapple juice, corn syrup, and water and stir until blended.

Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following manufacturer’s instructions.

Make 2 quarts.

Notes:

• I tried mashing with a potato masher, but that didn’t work so well, so I transferred the mixture to a blender and pulsed it up to get the consistency I wanted.

• Substitutions: Lime juice in place of lemon, pineapple juice in place of midori (melon liquer).

• It never fully freezed in the ice cream maker (technical difficulties using the appliance for the first time, and maybe the pineapple juice had something to do with the freezing process) and I wound up adding banana and ice to make smoothies for dinner guests out of about half the batch. The rest went into the freezer overnight.

• It turned out nice and frozen, but more like a “kiwi ice” than a “kiwi sorbet”.

• The smoothies were pretty good, but the sorbet is really, really sweet. Without the bananas and ice to tone it down, it’s a little over the top. Next time I’ll try just one tablespoon corn syrup, and maybe less pineapple juice or something different in its place.





11 comments:

  1. what if you made it as a sherbet instead of a sorbet? if you use egg whites or some milk product to bind it, i think you might avoid some of the problems with the freezing that you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!! I love kiwi's!!!! I bet that is so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google,
    and found that it is really informative. I'm going to watch out for brussels.

    I'll be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous
    people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    my web-site: seo company toronto

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grеetings! Very useful advice wіthin thiѕ post!

    It iiѕ the lіttle changes thаt will make the most important
    changes. Many thanks fοr sɦaring!

    Review my blolg post nike аir max pas cҺer - http://servicedhiver.fr/
    -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for some other informative blog.
    The place else may just I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach?
    I've a mission that I'm simply now working on, and I have been at the look
    out for such information.

    Here is my weblog; Nike Air Max 90 Mens

    ReplyDelete
  6. Undeniably consider that which you stated.
    Your favourite justification seemed to be at the web the easiest factor to consider of.
    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed even as other people consider concerns that they just don't recognise
    about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and outlined out the whole thing without having
    side effect , other folks can take a signal. Will probably be back to get
    more. Thanks

    Feel free to visit my blog post central air conditioning

    ReplyDelete
  7. * Click on the author's name to view their profile and articles.

    0 liter 4 cylinder turbo diesel engine and a 6 speed
    automatic transmission. In the end, they just have to print the e - Coupon and
    return to the seller which they trust anyway, why even entertain
    the very thought of bringing their vehicle elsewhere.


    My web page: Audi A3 2015 (Www.coaches4causes.org)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Its genuinely remarkable paragraph, I have got much clear idea concerning from this
    article.

    my website toronto music ()

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm extremely impressed together with your writing abilities and also with the
    format in your weblog. Is that this a paid subject or did you customize it yourself?
    Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is
    rare to peer a great weblog like this one nowadays..



    Feel free to visit my blog post - Look Here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too.
    Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I've added you guys to
    my personal blogroll.

    Here is my web pagethere vlc - -

    ReplyDelete
  11. So if you have ever asked yourself "What is the fastest way to make money. The real problem is the work that affiliates have to do before they can start promoting the free e - Book that come across and like. Set up your blog or website and start writing articles to submit.

    My blog; money making ideas for teens

    ReplyDelete