Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Friday, September 18, 2009

Creamy Lime Tart with Raspberry Coulis (aka: Pantyhose Pie)

I had a bunch of limes that I need to use up and raspberries that were on the brink of going bad, so I made a creamy lime tart with raspberry coulis.



Creamy Lime Tart Filling

5 large eggs
1 cup sugar
¾ cup heavy whipping cream
2/3 cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons grated lime peel

Whisk eggs, sugar, cream, lime juice, and grated lime peel in medium metal bowl to blend. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water); whisk slowly but constantly until mixture thickens and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 160°F, about 20 minutes. Remove bowl from over water. Cool mixture to room temperature, whisking occasionally. Pour into pie crust and let set (preferably in the fridge overnight). Garnish as desired.

Raspberry Coulis

1 pint raspberries
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice

Throw everything in a blender and blend until combined. Strain mixture through a fine mesh colander* and discard seeds. Use as garnish for creamy lime tart or as a sauce on pancakes, ice cream, or other desserts.

*I don’t have a fine mesh colander, so I got creative and used an old pair of pantyhose (clean ones, of course!). Worked like a charm! (And I giggled through the entire process).

I added a couple drops of green food coloring, to minimize the yellow of the eggs.

The filling was a little too creamy and didn’t quite set up as I’d hoped. Rather, it flopped around on the plate. But everyone seemed to love it and I guess it all goes down the same, so who can really complain?

Slicing and juicing the limes:



Fresh grated lime peel:



I’m a bit messy sometimes:



A makeshift double boiler (KitchenAid mixer bowl over a pot of simmering water):



Hooray, I finally have reason to use the candy thermometer I got as a gift last year!



The finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment