Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Friday, January 22, 2010

Dragon Fruit Cookies

Trader Joe's is a dangerous place for a girl like me. While shopping there recently, I happened upon some dried pitaya, also known as dragon fruit. I’d never tried that before, either, so I had to give it a go. I decided to use it to make cookies.

Dragon Fruit Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup dried fruit (in this case dragon fruit)

Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture and stir until well blended. Add dried fruit. Drop by teaspoonful onto parchment covered baking sheet. Bake about 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool.

The dragon fruit is fun, but because it is very leathery and thin, it was a bit tedious trying to prepare for the cookies – I couldn’t just chop it up with a knife; I had to tear it with my fingers. I only managed to get a half-cup of fruit before I was bored with ripping it up. So I searched through my cupboards for something else to add bulk, and settled on a ½ cup of shredded coconut. It turned out awesome. The dragon fruit has a very tart flavor, and the seeds add a nuttiness similar to poppy seeds. It’s kind of reminiscent of kiwi fruit, though I’ve never had dried kiwis before. The coconut adds a sweetness to balance the tart flavor, and I really like the cardamom in there, too. Yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment