Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Monday, May 3, 2010

Nutella & Mascarpone Grilled Cheese Sandwich on Brioche



In a couple weeks, Pike Place Market will host the annual Seattle Cheese Festival. I believe this is the 4th year and counting. The Cheese Festival falls the weekend before my birthday, so in past years I’ve been unable to attend due to being out of town or otherwise celebrating another year on planet Earth.

I’m bound and determined to attend this year’s Cheese Festival. And, to really show how dedicated I am in this endeavor, I decided to enter the Grilled Cheese Sandwich Contest.

Earlier today I posted my first entry in the contest, here is my second entry. I've gotten the most positive feedback from this recipe, and truth be told, it's my favorite of the two. Onward!

Nutella & Mascarpone on Brioche

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. Nutella spread
4 generous Tbsp. Mascarpone Cheese
Brioche
Big ol' dash of cinnamon (optional)
Powdered sugar
Sliced strawberries for garnish

Method

Preheat skillet over medium heat. Generously butter one side of a slice of bread. Spread Nutella on other side. Place bread butter-side-down onto skillet bottom. Butter a second slice of bread on one side, spread with Mascarpone. Sprinkle cinnamon if desired, and place butter-side-up on top of sandwich. Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until bread is golden. Remove from pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with sliced strawberries.

Inspiration: I love, love, LOVE Nutella, and have been looking for more reasons to cook with Mascarpone. I decided to try my hand at a dessert grilled cheese sandwich for this competition. I was not disappointed! The mascarpone absorbs the chocolate/hazelnut flavor, and the powdered sugar almost caramelizes as it melts on the warm buttered bread. It is basically heaven on a plate. Seriously. Try this sandwich.

I got my brioche at Le Panier Bakery in Pike Place Market. I've gotten eclairs from this bakery before, but never ordered a loaf of bread. I should order loaves of bread more often, because apparently it's their specialty.



Here's the girl who sold me my loaf of brioche. Her name is Alice. She was so helpful and encouraging. Thanks Alice! You're the best.



Here's some naked brioche. No more, no less.



A generous helping of Mascarpone on one slice:



Thin layer of Nutella on the other:



Don't forget that hefty dash of cinnamon!



Throw it on the skillet.



Flip it over...



See that Mascarpone oozing down the side? Can ya see it??



Why yes it DOES taste as good as it looks!



The final product.



Notes:

+ Brioche is a good bread to use, as it's fantastic for French toast and other sugary treats. But any other type of egg bread would work. You just don’t want anything too flavorful, as it’ll take away from the overall integrity of the sandwich.

+ Though the cinnamon is optional, I highly recommend it. The bitterness of it complements the sweetness of the Nutella so nicely. If you add it, don't skimp!

+ The strawberries do not need any sugar - a bit of tartness is actually good for the sandwich.

+ I brought a sandwich into my boss for breakfast on Monday morning. She ate a few bites and saved it for later. Around 4pm, she polished off the rest of the sandwich. She came bursting into my office a few minutes later to tell me that even after sitting on her desk all day, no longer warm and melty, the sandwich was still very tasty. Good to know. :)

+ UPDATE: This is also phenomenal with cardamom in place of cinnamon. OH MY YES.

21 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! Love the cinnamon. I just want another one RIGHT now. Why are you torturing me with these amazing photographs???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee, this was AMAZING!! Thanks for bringing me one at work. And I have to say, what was even more amazing was how good the second half of the sandwich was hours later when I finished it. This really holds up well. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is just delicious. Your sandwiches have left me drooling!I cant wait to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! Have you posted it to the Grilled Cheese Academy yet? http://www.grilledcheeseacademy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when I was kid, I would eat grilled cheese sandwiches at least 3 times a week! Haha! Thanks for sharing your recipe! It looks delicious. Now, I'm all about this Italian Grilled Cheese and Tomato. Hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks and sounds so good, i'm drooling! i can't wait to start celebrating nutella day tonight!
    i remember i used to eat waffles with nutella, and nutella-peanut butter sandwiches all the time when i was younger, but now i can step outside the box

    ReplyDelete
  7. I googled nutella and mascarpon. I found your recipe. I just made it and ate it. WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! I just made this, I didnt have brioche bread, but the results were heavenly!!! My kids thought I was crazy but quickly changed their minds. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. totally awsome!And i love the song..."if i knew you were coming i'd bake a cake!!"keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds and looks delicious, need to buy some brioche and mascarpone asap.

    ReplyDelete

  11. Through taking a bit of time to finish some research, you will see many practitioners who can fit their style of sizegenetics into your need to obtain man to man sizegenetics. Once you go for your well designed website, you won't need to only be able to find descriptions of your services offered, you will probably be capable to find a description within the particular modality that they can use when they perform a gay sizegenetics. There are a number places on your Internet that may well assist you to on the search, and the better ones will probably be eager to limit any search you ought to do by location.
    http://buysizegeneticsonline.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was actually shocked to go through that this collaborated with a Lexmark,
    yet I Googled the E210 and it looks virtually exact same to the Samsung ML-1210 .

    .. So I guess there are some inter-manufacturer similarities that I was not familiar with.


    Also visit my web blog ... http://vva.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much! I have saved hrs of time at the workplace!

    Check out my web page; xerox phaser 8560 driver

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sir, pls deliver that video to my email I.D.
    It will certainly be support ful 2 make pcb easy. Thankyou.


    my blog post - phobos.xtec.cat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you mind if I quote a few of your aгticles as long as I ргoviԁе сreԁіt and
    ѕourсes bаck to your websitе?
    Μy website is in the very same niche аs yourѕ
    and my vіsitors would defіnitely benefit fгom a lot оf thе information you present here.
    Ρleasе let me know if this оκ with you.

    Thank you!

    My web blog facebook marketing strategies

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Chad has offered the fundamental information.
    Thanks!

    my webpage :: xerox phaser 8560 ink sticks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello there,
    How can I fix my problem? That I
    couldn't connect the LaserJet 1018 printer to my PS tried everything and I then reinstalled the printer vehicle driver and it wont do business's.
    if they aren't going to assist a printer, it must be on the box.

    Also visit my webpage; nyutsa.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ηeya i am fοr the primary time here.
    I found this bοarԁ аnԁ I in findіng It truly usеful & it helped me out
    much. I hoрe to offeг something back аnd aid otherѕ
    ѕuch as you helped me.

    mу pagе; googlemail sign up

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truly Interesting. Many thanks for the Details. I like your site.


    My website :: xerox phaser 8560 maintenance kit [www.bertharenteria.com]

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh este é apenas delicioso. Seus sanduíches me deixaram babando.

    ReplyDelete