Add in Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter

Monday, June 7, 2010

Marshmallow Pops

The other day I made Death Cakes for a co-worker’s Daycare Center dessert auction. Of course, I didn’t call them “Death Cakes”. Who would bid on Death Cakes at a Daycare Center? Instead I came up with some bogus fancypants name: Black and White Tuxedo Cupcakes. I guess it worked out okay, because apparently the dessert auction alone raised over $1,000. Hooray!

Anyway, I had a ton of leftover ganache, so I made marshmallow pops. These are extremely easy and lots of fun for kids.

You’ll need:

• A bag of large marshmallows
• Lollipop sticks (You can get 50 of them for under $2 over at Amazon).
• Ganache
• Candy sprinkles


Stick a marshmallow on a lollipop stick. Dip the tip in ganache. Dip the ganache’ed marshmallow in candy sprinkles. Fill a cup, jar, or small bowl with rice, lentils, stones, or whatever you have on hand (I used split peas) and stick the finished pops in upright to dry.













I brought these in to work and several people asked for my ganache recipe. It’s super simple:

Throw a bag of chocolate chips* into the bowl of a double-boiler pan. If you don’t have a double-boiler (like me) stick a metal bowl over a simmering pot of water and use that. Once the chocolate has melted, add a splash of whipping cream. I really don’t have an exact measurement for you; maybe about ¼ cup? Stir the mixture constantly until it’s all warm and melty. Voila! Ganache!

*Don’t get icky generic chocolate chips. Use a good brand like Ghirardelli. 60% cacao or more.

Also, DON'T microwave the chocolate. The double-boiler method is such a better way to make ganache. It turns out much smoother and tastier, in my opinion.

2 comments: